Pray for Pakistan
Please note: This information is more than 30 days old. View current news and events.
Millions of people have been affected by floods in Pakistan, hundreds have been killed, and the government has declared a national emergency.
More than 33 million people have been displaced as destructive monsoon rains continue to wreak havoc. Many parts of Pakistan have become inaccessible, with Balochistan and Sindh provinces the worst-affected areas.
Tearfund’s partner, Anglican Diocese of Hyderabad, has two projects in Sindh province. They report that homes, crops and personal possessions have all been washed away. Latrines and fuel-efficient stoves, which the communities built as part of the project activities, were also destroyed.
Many people are experiencing psychological distress from the trauma of the flooding. There are also many people displaced by the loss of housing, and at risk of water-borne diseases and food insecurity.
- Nearly 1700 people have died as a result of the floods in Pakistan. Please pray for the families of those who have lost loved ones, and for recovery for those who are injured. Pray for comfort and strength for people who are distressed, traumatised and grieving.
- Give thanks for Tearfund’s partner the Diocese of Hyderabad as it begins distribution of food packages, and delivers other lifesaving aid.
- As waterborne diseases increase, pray for protection, and for adequate medical supplies and health services to treat people affected by disease.
- The destruction of crops, and the loss of the opportunity for new planting, is devastating for farmers across the country. Pray for those who have lost crops and whose livelihoods have been thrown into uncertainty, as well as for those whose homes have been destroyed.
- Pray for generosity from the international community in response to these devastating floods.